The time has come for autumn harvesting. How to stock it all for the winter?
If you do not yet have experience in harvesting vegetables, then pay attention to general terms.
Sterilization of cans and lids
I pre-sterilize jars over boiling water: up to 1 liter - 2-3 minutes, a larger volume - 3-5 minutes. It is very convenient to use a special lid for this with an opening the size of the neck of the can, which is placed on the pan from above. The jar is very stable. Be sure to boil metal lids for canning for 3-5 minutes just before the cans are corked and take them straight out of boiling water. (But the sterilization of cans filled with blanks and covered with lids, I spend very rarely and this is stipulated in recipes.).
© The Gifted Photographer
I wrap and turn over the cans always and with any preparations, whether it be salads, compotes or marinades. For wrapping cans I use something from old warm clothes. I keep the cans wrapped up until they cool completely and only after that I turn them over and put them away to a permanent storage place.
Storage of blanks
Preparations that will be stored in the winter in the country, I do only in the country. I try to close everything that is intended for use at home (in a city apartment) only in the apartment. If you follow this rule, then there will be no problems with banks. They stand well, sometimes even for 2-3 years, although, of course, they should not be stored so much. If you have to bring cans with blanks from the cottage, then I store them only in the refrigerator, otherwise the lids swell.
In salads, I prefer to add 6% vinegar, and in marinades - 9%.
Let's start with the simplest.
- Zkg of beets, 2 kg of carrots, 2 kg of sweet pepper, Zkg of tomatoes, 2 fruits of hot pepper, 0.5 l of vegetable oil, salt to taste.
Grate beets and carrots on a coarse grater, cut sweet pepper, and tomatoes through a meat grinder. Pour the sunflower oil into the pan, put it on the fire, let the oil boil. Put the beets and carrots in it, boil for 15 minutes, then add the remaining vegetables, bay leaf and simmer for 1 hour. Place the hot dressing in sterilized jars and roll up.
From the specified number of products, 15 half-liter cans of the workpiece will be obtained, which can be used not only for cooking borsch, but also as a salad (very tasty!).
- 10-20 pcs. eggplant, sweet pepper and tomatoes, 4-5 onions, 1 glass of water, 2 tbsp. tablespoons of salt, half a glass of vegetable oil, vinegar.
Eggplant (without peeling), chop peppers and tomatoes, chop onion rings. All components, with the exception of vinegar, put in a saucepan and simmer until cooked (25-30 minutes after boiling). Put the prepared mass of vegetables in hot form in liter jars. Pour 1 teaspoon of vinegar into each jar and roll up the lids.
Lecho with tomatoes
- 3 kg of sweet pepper, 2 kg of tomatoes, 150 g of garlic, 1 fruit of hot pepper, 1 bunch of parsley and dill, 1 cup of vegetable oil, half a glass of vinegar, 50 g of salt, half a glass of sugar.
Sweet pepper cut into long thin strips. Tomatoes, garlic and hot peppers mince. Finely chop the greens. Put everything in a pan, mix and pour in a mixture of oil, vinegar, salt and sugar. Cook for 25-30 minutes. Arrange the hot mass in cans, roll up the lids, turn over and put in a warm place until completely cooled.
© Matt McGee
Lecho with cucumbers
- 5 kg of cucumbers, 2.5 kg of tomatoes, 1 kg of sweet pepper, a glass of sunflower oil, vinegar and granulated sugar, 3 full tbsp. tablespoons of salt, 1 head of garlic.
Peel sweet seeds from seeds, pass together with tomatoes through a meat grinder, put in a pan, adding salt, sugar, butter and vinegar and put on fire. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Cut cucumbers into thin rings and put in a boiling mass, bring to a boil again and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Finely chop the garlic and add to the salad 5 minutes before the end of the stew. Put the finished hot mass into jars and seal with lids.
- 1 kg of bell pepper, 1 kg of onions, 2 kg of tomatoes, 1 kg of carrots, 1 glass of vinegar and vegetable oil, according to Zst. tablespoons of sugar and salt.
Wash and chop the vegetables, put in a saucepan, add vinegar, vegetable oil, salt, sugar, mix, cover and simmer until cooked (15-20 minutes after the boil begins). Ready hot salad put in jars and roll up the lids.
Tomato and Onion Salad
- The number of tomatoes and onions is taken arbitrarily, to taste. Brine: 3 liters of water 30 peas of black pepper, 15 bay leaves, half a glass of vinegar, 9 tbsp. tablespoons of sugar, 4 tbsp. tablespoons, 3 tbsp. tablespoons of sunflower oil.
Washed and dried tomatoes cut into slices, onion cut into rings. Lay in sterilized jars in layers, alternating tomatoes and onions. Pour vegetables in jars with boiling brine and seal with lids. In this form, the product stands well in the refrigerator. If there is a need to store it in a normal room, then the jars should be sterilized for 3 minutes before capping, but already covered with lids.
When you learn simple recipes, you can try to make the workpieces more complicated.
Assorted vegetables No. 1
- On a 3-liter jar I take: 7-8 fresh cucumbers, 2-3 brown tomatoes, 2-3 whole peeled onions, 4-5 large cloves of garlic, 1 parsley root, 2-3 sweet peppers, a few pieces of horseradish, a sprig of dill, pieces of white cabbage - as needed.
- The composition of the marinade: 1.5 liters of water, 4 tbsp. tablespoons of sugar, 2 tbsp. tablespoons of salt, 0.5 cups of vinegar.
Sterilize the jar, put the vegetables in it, filling the voids with slices of cabbage. Prepare the marinade: put all its components (except vinegar) in a pan, boil, pour vinegar and immediately remove from heat. Pour hot vegetables in a jar. Roll up the jar with a lid.
© The Gifted Photographer
Assorted vegetables No. 2
I have been using this recipe for a very long time. The whole point is that they take any vegetables that are available in a completely arbitrary combination - who likes what: someone puts almost one cauliflower, and someone more onions and carrots. Usually I close a lot of cans at once, combining vegetables as I please. I choose small vegetables because I don’t need to cut them. I indicate the approximate amount for the first test per one liter can:
- 3-5 pcs. small carrots (you can also large, but be sure to cut), 1-2 sweet pepper fruits, 3-5 slices of cauliflower inflorescence, 5-7 cloves of garlic, 1 onion onion (or 7-10 bulbs of multi-tier onions), 1-2 very small squash, 1-2 small (with a diameter of 5-7 cm) zucchini, 2-3 small cucumbers, 7-10 small tomatoes, 5-7 small apples (can be large, but cut). If any of the listed fruits and vegetables are not available, then you can do without them. Still for assortment you need: 1 hot pepper fruit, parsley roots, greens (dill 2-3 branches, parsley 1 branch, tarragon 1-2 branches per jar, but I put only one weed in each jar).
- The composition of the marinade: 1 liter of water, 4 teaspoons of salt, 6 teaspoons of sugar, 3 bay leaves, 7 cloves, 5 peas of black and allspice, vinegar at the rate of 2 tbsp. spoons per liter jar.
All vegetables prepared for assorted vegetables must be blanched in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Wash liter containers, sterilize, put on the bottom of each slice of hot pepper, parsley root, herbs, lay in rows vegetables. Prepare the marinade: add all the ingredients to the water, except for vinegar, boil. Pour jars of vegetables with hot marinade. Add to each jar 2 tbsp. tablespoons of vinegar (or 1 teaspoon of vinegar essence). Roll up the cans and wrap them until they cool completely.
Beetroot salad and more ...
- 1 kg of beets, 0.5 kg of onions and carrots, 1.5 kg of tomatoes, 1 tbsp. tablespoon of salt, 0.5 cups of sugar and vegetable oil, 3 tbsp. tablespoons of vinegar.
Grate beets and carrots on a coarse grater, cut onions in half rings, tomatoes - slices. Put everything in a pan, bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 40 minutes. Add vinegar 5 minutes before the end of cooking. Arrange the hot salad in jars and roll up.
© Southern Foodways Alliance
- 3 kg of tomatoes, 0.5 kg of onions, carrots, sweet peppers and apples, 1 cup of sugar, 0.5 l of sunflower oil, 1.5 tbsp. tablespoons of salt, 20g of garlic, 1 tbsp. ground red spoon or 2 tbsp. tablespoons of black pepper (you can even without pepper, then adjika turns out to be very tender, and some sharpness in it will be due to other products).
Wash and dry vegetables, peel, remove seeds and stalks from apples and peppers, pass through a meat grinder, put in a saucepan, mix and cook over low heat for 2.5 hours under a lid. Arrange the hot mass in banks, roll up, turn over and wrap up to cool completely.
- 3 kg of cucumbers, 0.5 kg of onions, 5-6 heads of garlic (garlic to taste, half as much), 1 cup of vegetable oil, sugar and vinegar, 100 g of salt.
Cut cucumbers into slices, onion rings, chop the garlic, put in a saucepan. Add salt, sugar, butter and vinegar and leave for 12 hours. After that, put the salad in sterile jars, roll up the lids (it is acceptable to close them with plastic lids). You can only store the salad in the refrigerator, but when you open the jar, the aroma from the cucumbers is as if they had just been picked in the garden.